Links and resources
If you are experiencing a mental health crisis or emergency, please call
San Francisco Hot Line at (415) 781 0500 or 911
and go to your local emergency room.
Click here to download this list as a PDF.
Couples and families
Ahrons, C. The Good Divorce: Keeping your Family Together When your Marriage Comes Apart.
Bader and Pearson. In Quest of the Mythical Mate.
Campbell, S. The Couple’s Journey: Intimacy as a Path to Wholeness.
- Out of print, worth picking up second hand if you find it
Crohn, J. Mixed Matches: How to Create Successful Inter-racial and Interfaith Relationships.
- This paperback is worth buying; very helpful about creating a couple/family identity and helping kids confront prejudice
Goodrich, Rampage, Ellman and Halstead. Feminist Family Therapy: A Case Book.
- Also has a helpful chapter on single mother families and Lesbian families
Gottman, J. The Marriage Clinic.
- Gottman has analyzed all the couples research for the last 25 years and puts it together with his conclusions and his own approach
Gurman, S. A. and Jacobsen, S. N. Clinical Handbook of Couples Therapy. 3rd ed.
Hochschild, A. The Second Shift: Working Parents and the Revolution at Home.
- This wonderful book is part of a sociological study at UC Berkeley, which looks at the balance of housework in couples where women work fulltime outside the home, well worth reading
Johnson, S. Character Styles.
- This is the best description of the characterological approach that I have found. Integrates self psychology, neo-Reichian and bio-energetic approaches, somatics, psychoanalysis, object relations, self psychology and systems theory, a best buy
Johnson, S. Creating Connection: The Practice of Emotionally Focused Marital Therapy.
McGoldrick, M. Ethnicity and Family Therapy.
- A comprehensive overview of ethnic and cultural family styles
McGoldrick, M. Re-Visioning Family Therapy: Race, Culture and Gender in Clinical Practice.
- Includes a useful chapter on refugee families
Papernow, P. Becoming a Stepfamily: Patterns of Development in Remarried Families.
- This excellent book is only available from the Gestalt Institute of Cleveland
Schnarch, David. Passionate Marriage
- This is a wonderful resource for keeping marriage very alive and full.
Sue, D.W. Counseling the Culturally Different.
- This book has really useful information on cultural somatic differences, e.g. eye contact, physical closeness
Walsh, F. Normal Family Processes.
- This is a very helpful book, which looks at the normal daily realities of gay, lesbian, adoptive and stepfamilies
Wile, D. After the Honeymoon.
- Wile is always a good read and has some great ideas about the distancer/pursuer relationship
Trauma and abuse
Levine, Peter. Waking the Tiger.
Rothschild, Babette. The Body Remembers.
Embodied awareness and practice
Kornfeld, Jack. A Path with Heart.
Goldstein, Jack. Insight Meditation.
Pema, Chodron. The Places that Scare You.
Kabat-Zinn, Jon. Wherever you go, there you are.
Kabat-Zinn, Jon. Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of you Body and Mind to face Stress, Pain and Illness.
Health and wellness